3 Ways to Improve Your Digital Security Ahead of the GDPR Deadline

Let’s face it: the looming GDPR deadline – and its effects on small businesses – is starting to feel a bit like the new Millennium Bug.

Whilst it is true that all corners of the business world will be changed in some way by the new data protection regulations, it shouldn’t be a daunting task to put necessary plans into action to ensure that your business is compliant. In fact, you may be doing enough already.

Increased awareness of the GDPR has also pushed topics such as data security, handling, and management to top of the priority list. Along with password breaches, the possibility of malware, and ever-present spam, small businesses are the primary target for cyber attacks (accounting for 43% of the quota). Another staggering statistic: 48% of cyber attacks originate from malicious sources; the other 52% are down to either human error or system failures.

Small businesses, then, need to take a serious look at how they manage data of all kinds, be it customer records, intellectual property, financial information or passwords. With possible breaches coming from within and without, you need to be able to identify and – most importantly – eliminate potential security risks before they happen.

Here are 5 easy ways to improve your digital security before the GDPR deadline.

  1. Secure printing

Your printer could be posing the greatest risk to your data security without you even knowing it. Unsecured printing is the biggest offender – busy employees send documents to the printer only to forget about them, leading to a potential breach of confidential data. This can be easily rectified in line with the GDPR by choosing a machine with password protection, print encryption and data clearage options. You should also implement processes and sufficient training for employees to ensure that data is routinely erased from the printer and that employees are deploying print responsibly.

  1. Cloud storage

Nowadays, you wouldn’t think twice to sync data from a device to the Cloud (or vice versa). However, with trends like bring your own device (BYOD) and increased Cloud capabilities, this practice poses a serious risk to data security: unauthorised uploads can expose company data – and the organisation itself – to harmful malware, security breaches, and corruption.

While there are no guarantees when navigating Cloud software – choosing an MPS solution for your business will make sure you have automated, secure, and compliant data sync capabilities across your machines. This approach will also put in place policies and processes regarding Cloud usage, meaning your employees will still enjoy the ease of syncing data between devices, but in a secure environment.

  1. Clean up your paper usage

With all this talk of digital security, physical paper is still an issue for many businesses big and small. Scanning, printing, faxing and photocopying pose potential security risks when information is left out in the open for everyone to see.

A powerful shredder can destroy data quickly and efficiently, and we offer on and off-site document destruction and storage options so you don’t have to worry about disposing of confidential information yourself.  You’ll not only free up precious office space, but you’ll also be reassured in the fact that your data is being handled appropriately.

Here at Universal, we have a team of MPS and document security specialists dedicated in ensuring you are compliant with the latest information and technology available to you. Talk to us today to start implementing one of our MPS or document storage services in your workplace today.

Back to News